Thursday, August 12, 2010

What to watch for on Saturday night

The Leos open their preseason schedule Saturday night at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, home of the NFL's favorite date rapist.

So what do we, as fans, have to look forward to? What should we be on the edge of our proverbial seats ready to get excited about?

Well, I'm already on record as saying that for the most part the preseason is a completely useless tool for gauging the season, but there are some players I'm very anxious to see play. Although many of them will not play for very long.

For instance, it'll be nice to see Matt Stafford throw a ball for the first time since last November. I'll especially like to see how this whole two tight end base set formation looks and is used. However, I am not at all interested in seeing Calvin Johnson play more than a few snaps--we know what we've got there.

I can't wait to see Jahvid Best bust a few runs and short passes for long gains or touchdowns...that'd be very encouraging.

On defense, I am very anxious to see if The Kong can play anywhere near as good as advertised. If he does, I fully expect him to pull out one of the goal posts and beat to death anybody waving a terrible towel.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that 80% of what I'm interested in with this team Saturday is on the defensive side of the ball. I want to see the whole newly designed D-line play a few series and see how they do against the Steelers and their powerful run game.

I can't wait to see Zach Follet and see if he can actually play. How is Chris Houston going to do against Hines Ward? Dre Bly? Will Amari Spievey see the field? Is Jonathon Wade any good at all?

How is Caleb Campbell, the 7th round pick out of Army drafted two years ago on a whim by Rod Marinelli, going to do after two years away?

One of the players I am most interested in seeing, because every player that has lined up next to Delmas at safety has been worse than atrocious, is undrafted free agent Randy Phillips out of the University of Miami. Two years ago many thought he would be a first round draft pick, but after two years of injuries, this may be his best shot at making a team in the NFL. Damn, I hope he's good.

One thing I am not hopeful of seeing is cheerleaders. The Steelers are one of the six teams that are "too classy" to have professional dance teams. I guess that's ok for them, it gives Ben Roethlisberger fewer opportunities...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online