Monday, December 27, 2010

Don't expect me to get all excited...

"Wins and losses are all that matter. We know we have a good team, but if you're not winning, you really don't, I guess." -- Cliff Avril.

I can't agree with Mr. Avril more. And now, for the last few weeks anyway, the Lions have been winning. It feels really weird to write that.

I never root against the Lions, but I certainly never bet on them either.

Still, what good does this late season flourish really buy the Lions besides a much lower draft pick? If the season were to end today, they would pick 9th next April--far outside of the Patrick Petersen sweepstakes.

In 1989, Barry Sanders' rookie season, the Detroit Lions finished 7-9, but managed to win six of their final seven games showing the world that they were a dangerous team...

This led them to the glorious 1990 season...1990? Yeah, they went 6-10 that year. Momentum doesn't usually carry over to the next season. Of course, 1991 was the golden year in Lions football in my lifetime.
Can we hope for a rebirth in 2012? I'm not holding my breath--not because I don't believe it, but because 2012 is a long way away and I can't hold my breath that long.

The Lions need to get rid of Dominic Raiola, not because he's good for at least one completely ignorant fan incident every year or two, but because he's too damn small to play the position and he gets pushed into the backfield way too often.

A month ago I was calling for a house cleaning at Ford Field...this winning streak hasn't exactly changed my mind yet. It's more of a stay of execution.

Meanwhile, the 49ers are going to call up Bill Parcells...

If the Lions can't get Patrick Peterson, Prince Nakamura is a pretty damn good corner too. Watch the Nebraska bowl game and check him out...but watch LSU too...just in case Peterson falls.

By the way, the Lions have won three in a row...Green Bay without Aaron Rodgers, Tampa Bay (legitimate win, I think) and Miami at home where they're 1-7 this season...It's not all that impressive when you break it down.

The Lions should throw six screens to Jahvid Best a game. Getting him in space is the only way to use him. He can't seem to break tackles. He needs the ball on swing passes and passing routes. He also needs to learn some skills from Maurice Morris and be a 100 times more decisive when running the ball. One cut and go...probably easier said than done, but true none the less.

Minnesota managed to beat the playoff bound Eagles last week...this week will not be a slam dunk like many people seem to think.

This article has taken me two weeks to plod through thanks to the holidays and...I don't really regret it at all. Hope everybody has had great holidays and have a happy new year! Hopefully we'll never see the Devil again and the Lions will get cheerleaders!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online